Government Council for Human Rights
The Council of the Government of the Czech Republic for Human Rights (hereinafter referred to as the "Council") is a permanent advisory body to the Government in the field of the protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the territory of the Czech Republic. It was established under Government Resolution No 809 of 9 December 1998.
The Council monitors compliance with the Constitution of the Czech Republic, the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms and other legislation governing the protection of and respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. The Council further monitors the national implementation of international commitments of the Czech Republic in the field of human rights and fundamental freedoms, in particular the obligations arising from:
- the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights,
- the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights,
- the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms,
- the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination,
- the Convention on the Rights of the Child,
- the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women, and
- the Convention for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishmenth.
The Council Chairman convenes meetings of the Council at least four times a year. Activities of the Council are governed by the Statute and the Rules of Procedure. Its secretariat is a part of the organisational structure of the Office of the Government of the Czech Republic.
Mr. Jakub Machačka Head of the Secretariat
Secretary to the Government Council for Human Rights
Committee for Civil and Political Rights
Committee for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
Ms. Zuzana Vaníčková Committee against Torture
Committee for Sexual Minorities
Committee against Discrimination
Ms. Aneta Plavinová
Committe for the Rights of the Child
Committee for the Rights of Foreigners
Seat of the Secretariat:
nábřeží Edvarda Beneše 4
118 01 Praha 1 - Malá Strana